Sunday, 12 October 2014

Blackberry Chutney


So after all my Blackberry picking I was starting to run out of things to make with them I froze a batch and then found this recipe in one of my Kilner Jars. So I made some Blackberry Chutney. It was so easy to make so thought I would share this with you.

Ingredients I needed
1tbsp Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
3cm Ginger, finely chopped
2 Large red chillies, finely chopped
1 Lb of Blackberries
45g Caster Sugar
30ml red wine vinegar

Step1
Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, chillies and ginger. Don't forget to peel the ginger, I didn't know I had to do this. Oops
So fry that for about 5 minutes until everything has softened.
 

 Step 2
Add the Blackberries and cook for a further 5 minutes while stirring during this time.
Step 3
Add the sugar and vinegar and mix this all in together.
Step 4
Bring to the boil and the simmer for about 20-25 minutes until the vinegar has evaporated.
Step 5
While the mixture is still hot spoon into sterilised jars and seal. I brought my Kilner Jars from Wilkinsons for only 0.75p.
 
This would make fantastic Christmas presents. I have yet to decorate my jars with labels and some cloth over the top to make this look more Christmassy.
 
Let me know if you give this a go and how it turns out.
 
Bexmorts xx