Thursday, 4 September 2014

Making Jam

Making Jam
 
 
So my blog this week is a little different. This is something I have done this week and enjoyed doing so wanted to blog about it this week.
 
Me and my friend from work went Berry picking in our lunch breaks. We picked a lot of Blackberries so I decided to make jam. I have never made Jam before so this was a challenge for me. But I was so excited haha.
 
 

These were the ingredients I needed
  • 1kg Blackberries
  • 1kg Jam Sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
  • 1 Pinch of salt



So above is a photo of me making the Jam. It was straight after work so wasn't looking my best :-(.
Making Jam is so easy. You just chuck all of the ingredients into a sauce pan and bring it to a rolling boil then just cook stirring constantly.

 
So yes as you can see I had a little accident and walked away from stirring for about 5 seconds and my pan boiled over. But I managed to recover it. I just had more cleaning up to do afterwards. You boil the Jam for about 15-20 minutes.

You then transfer your Jam into Sterile Jars. I brought these Kilner Jars from Wilko's for 75p each.
If you are not sure how to Sterilise you jars just read up on the internet as there are a few different ways you can do this, dishwasher, microwave or oven

Last of all to make the Jar pretty I brought these cover, string and some labels from Home Bargains a set of 10 for 89p.
 
This would make really cute Christmas present and its so easy to do. If I can do this then anyone can.
 
I have been Blackberry picking again and plan to make a Berry Crumble next which by the looks of the recipe is also very easy.
 
If you try making Jam let me know in the comments how you got on.
Have you made Jam before any suggestions or comments I would love to read.
 
Thanks for reading
Bexmorts xx